We’ve all been there. You are in your car. It’s afternoon, and you are driving against the sun. The sunlight is directly in your eyes, and soon your eyes start hurting due to the glare. It’s quite a nuisance. More importantly, this can cause eye headaches as well as eye problems, thus ruining your trip. At times like these, sunglasses are your friend.
Sunglasses protect your eyes in many ways. Wearing it during drives will protect your eyes from sunlight, traffic lights, and other harmful light. They can also protect your eyes from discomfort by keeping out dust and the wind. This is especially helpful when you are out on a drive or a bike ride.
Some of the major sunglasses brands are Ray-Ban, Prada, Michael Kors, Versace, and Police. They have earned a considerable reputation in the eyewear market.
Table of Contents
Types of Sunglasses
We’ll discuss two main categories of sunglasses here.
Polarized sunglasses look the same as non-polarized sunglasses. But they have a particular type of lens known as polarized lenses. These lenses go through different processes to form a specific protective layer. This works against blurriness and the glare caused due to exposure to the sun. These sunglasses are the best choice if you drive a car, hike mountains, or you are an athlete.
Non-polarized sunglasses are a bit different from polarized sunglasses. They cannot reduce glare like a polarized lens. Non-polarized sunglasses only reduce the brightness level of the light entering the eye. This is the most common form of sunglasses, and every pair has this attribute.
How Does a Polarized Lens Work?
Polarized lenses work by scattering light that hits the eyewear glass. It disperses the light in horizontal dimensions. For example, light from the surface of a mirror or a carpeted road is the main culprit behind blurred vision. So, polarized glasses are somewhat immune to this problem.
These lenses are best suited for people with sensitive eyes. The polarized sunglasses will protect you from extreme glares and harmful UAV sunrays.
Reasons for Choosing Polarized Sunglasses
Since its invention, polarized sunglasses have proved to be helpful for many people. Some significant benefits of polarized sunglasses are:
- It’s ideal for people who drive or are traveling in a car. On a long road you may find polished roads, lakesides, or even buildings which have too much glass on them. These roads and surfaces can cause a lot of glare due to the direct reflection of sunlight. If you fall in this category, polarized sunglasses will be a great choice for you.
- Because of its glare-resistant property, polarized lenses are also used by pilots. The intensity of sunlight is greater at high altitudes. So, they use polarized sunglasses while flying.
- If you are into outdoor sports, these glasses are for you. Many companies manufacture special types of sports eyewear with polarized lenses. They are more likely to stay on your face while you are in motion. This is a favorite among baseball and cricket players.
- These glasses are also helpful for adventurers like cyclists and mountaineers. Sunlight on mountaintops is of a high intensity, and these glasses can keep their eyes safe.
Reasons for Choosing Non-Polarized Sunglasses
Despite the obvious benefit of polarized sunglasses, there are some downsides as well. So, some people prefer non-polarized sunglasses instead. Here are some of the reasons:
- Polarized lenses are more expensive. So, those who are unaware of the benefits prefer regular sunglasses.
- Digital screens are harder to see through polarized lenses. These lenses stop most of the light from such screens. So, it can be difficult to operate your cell phone outdoors.
- Most Modern TVs use LED (Light Emitting Diode) technology in the screens. These displays work by emitting light. So it will be difficult for you to watch TV wearing polarized lenses.
- Like the problem with viewing digital screens, some pilots prefer non-polarized glasses as it makes it easier to read the control panel in the cockpit.
- Polarized lenses can make it harder to distinguish between different objects and surfaces. For example, it might be harder to tell water, ice, or snow on the road apart. That is because different materials and surfaces reflect light in different ways.
Polarized glasses can be a wonderful solution for you and your eyes. This is especially true if you are driving or playing outdoors. So for a better experience, go for a polarized lens that is suitable for you. You can visit an eye consultant who can suggest the right pair according to your intensity of use.