How To Choose The Right Size For Your Sunglasses In 2018
On trying different sunglasses, we come to know what suits us the best. But there is a more scientific approach to finding the best fit for your face. If you are reading this, you are definitely trying to find the most suitable glasses for your face. If you read through this article, you will know the tricks and tips that will work for any glasses you are willing to get for yourself. Proper style and sit will compliment your face and body size and shape.
Sunglasses are usually bigger than the ordinary eyeglasses. However, the measurements are taken down in the same procedure. There are many sunglasses of various shades, colors, sizes, and shapes, and this article will help you to find the best match for you among the plethora of options.
With sunglasses, you enjoy more opportunities and freedom to pick your choice as they do not necessarily have to be very precise like normal glasses. Once you know the frame measurements of your glasses, you can browse through the collection, find the most suitable style and order for your perfect pair of sunglasses or shades accordingly.
Before we look into more details on how to choose sunglasses size, let us look at the three categories they can be classified in:
- Eye Size – It is the horizontal width of the lenses.
- Bridge Size – It measures the metal or plastic support that is attached to the lenses. For the measurement of the bridge, you begin and end at the interior part of the lenses.
- Temple Size – This refers to the measurement of the handle or the arms of the glasses. It starts from the points where the hinges are attached and go straight in a line to the point from where the arm slopes down.
- Vertical Size – It shows the measurement of the sunglass or the length of the lens in a vertical line. It is calculated from the bottom point to the top end.
- Lens Width Size- This shows the straight measurement of the broader side of the lens. Make sure to position your eyes at the optical center of the lens.
Get the Right Measurement
For measuring your face, put a ruler showing the millimeter side. The ruler should not go around the head but will have to be placed in a floating manner in front of the eyes. Measurement should be taken straight across the temple, and the final result that you get will be the appropriate size of your sunglass.
If you are doing this alone, make sure to stand in front of the mirror so that you can see and mark on the ruler. This step will determine your frame size, but to select the best one, you should measure your face too. Know the measurement of your face, which includes cheek to cheek, jawline, top to bottom and forehead.
Sunglasses are generally of three shapes – small, medium and large. The small one is lesser than 129mm, the medium one range from 130 to 140mm 55mm and the large one is greater than 140mm. However, do not follow the generic standards of measurement. It is always better to go by the method of trial and error. It will give you a specific idea whether the sunglasses suit your face or not.
Go For UV Protection Sunglasses
We do not just wear sunglasses for exhibiting a stylish appearance, but it also has a real reason for protecting our eyes from the damaging ultraviolet light. This is also the reason why it is so essential for those who are exposed to high UV rays. Sunglasses should have 100% UV protection or else the harmful radiations may cause cataracts, degenerate the condition of eyes, burn the skin around eyes and sometimes even cause cancer.
UVA rays are more prevalent than UVB rays as that the latter is more common in places where the axis of the earth is tilted. Polarized and photochromic lenses can be great options to comfort and protect your eyes. Gradient sunglasses are the most common ones, however; those do not give full coverage for protecting eyes.
Frame Material and Lens Material
There are varieties of options of frame and lens that you can choose for your sunglasses. Each type has their distinctive style, price range, functions, and utility. The most common types of frame materials are:
- Metal – They are malleable, corrosion-resistant, and most expensive.
- Nylon – This is best for sports as they can bear temperature fluctuation and are very flexible.
- Titanium – This is usually costlier. Also, it is scratch-resistant and durable.
- Polycarbonate - It is like a sturdy, durable plastic material and offers resistance.
- Acetate -This material is also plastic-like. However, they are more flexible, stronger and lighter.
- Plastic -It is the cheapest form and usually does not break easily. It is suitable for people with budget constraints.
Lens Materials Are Usually of The Following Types
- Optical Glass- They are most polished and ground to ensure proper vision. They are also durable and very scratch resistant.
- Polycarbonate - Polycarbonate is plastic-made lenses that are almost indestructible and offers brilliant clarity.
- NXT Polyurethane - This lens is a mixture of all the advantages of optical glass and polycarbonates. It is ultra-lightweight, has excellent clarity and is damage-resistant. Also, this is the costliest option of all.
- Acrylic Lenses – They are the inexpensive choice and are best for casual fashion.
- Lens color- It can be of several shades, and the one you opt for becomes your personalized style. Various color shades are for different purpose like grey, and dark green colors are perfect for driving, brown and black to protect eyes from sun rays and blue shades for sports.
Choose The Right Frames
Let us look what the ideal frame shapes for each face type are:
- Square Type Frames – If you have a broad jawline and forehead, then go for wayfarers.
- Triangle Type Frame – If you have a narrow chin and broad forehead, then aviators are the right choice for you.
- Oblong Type Frame - A long and narrow face can be perfectly suitable for wrap sunglasses.
- Round Type Frame - A round face will look leaner with a pair of rectangular or square sunglasses.
- Oval Type Frame - An oval face which is slightly narrow towards the jawline can choose any frame to flatter their appearance. Both fashion and sports sunglasses can be put on.
When it comes to choosing the perfect shades, you should look out for a pair that fits your face properly. The key is to figure out the proper size or measurement for your best pick. This guide on how to choose sunglasses size will help you find the right measurement and choose the style accordingly for different occasions.
It sounds like a tedious job when you think of giving special attention to measurements. But eventually, this will help to make the process easy of purchasing the right fit for your face. Without proper measurements, it will be easy to get the accurate size of the lenses so that the lens and the bridge which will place on your face impeccably.
Going to a spectacle shop and giving measurements for your sunglasses will take only a few minutes. You do not have to take much hassle and still get the perfect one for your face that will not only act as a protection but also accentuate your appearance.